5.29.2007

Day Three: A Trip to the Supermarket

My boyfriend and I (Have I mentioned I live with my boyfriend?) went grocery shopping yesterday, walking all the way to the supermarket and back. Although there's one right next to where we live, we decided to go to the further one, just to get some walking done. I got all ready, made a list and parted with my recycled grocery bags in hand. I have to admit it wasn't easy walking throughout the whole supermarket with all those carb-filled products staring at me, begging to be bought, at least considered. Well, they were considered and bought...by my boyfriend who's not on Atkins. It's quite alright. I stuck mostly to veggies, eggs, cheese and meat. My boyfried was pretty supportive and actually made supper later on, a delicious broccoli quiche and some pork.
It's always fun to go to the supermaket. I like to look at what people are buying, the choices they are making. People of all sizes. Makes the expression "You are what you eat" quite true. People struggling to resist certain foods, people sure of what they're buying, others not so sure. Some stare at the shelves for hours trying to pick the right thing. The younger people I noticed (there are a lot of young people and families where we live) fill their cars with chips, popcorn, regular soda. I want to shake them and tell them not to buy crap because they'll eventually look like crap and feel like crap. Hopefully they'll realize in time. And It's something they have to do by themselves, I think.

This is for the low-carbers and others who are trying to change their eating habits: How did you realize you had to lose weight? How did it click that you had to change?

As I mentioned on my first post, I had to hit an ugly bottom first and ask myself if I was happy, to which my immediate answer was no. I know that It's only been three days, but I feel more in control now and happy I found support and others who are or went through the same thing I'm going through.

7 comments:

Julia said...

I know you are going to shed the fat suit!!! I LOVE your blog! I am low carb living advocate and wanted to let you know about one of my must use tools; Phase II, it is the only FDA approved diet tool--it is a white bean extract that helps your body digest about 40% of your carb intake as fiber rather than sugar--effective on white starches; breads, pasta, baked goods. To learn more about it www.Phase2info.com, I am sure you and your blog readers will LOVE it!

If you would like my help in anyway on your weight loss journey, let me know!
Carpe Diet,
Julia Havey
www.JuliaHavey.com

katrina said...

For me, my live in boyfriend and I got engaged. It was exciting and magical, just like you think it would be, then I got the pictures back from the trip. (we got engaged in the Czech Republic) Let's just say, I was far from happy with about 80% of them. (the ones that showed more than my face, haha). I struggled after that because he is very opposed to me changing myself to fit some distorted stereotype of beauty. It's also very hard for me to eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle in college. And, without support, it is a constant battle.

My greatest motivation is to not feel like an amazon woman on my wedding day, next to my thin and handsome groom.

Sorry to be so long winded, I guess I could have just said, "I got fat, and I don't want to be fat for my wedding."

The Fatsuit Girl said...

Hi Julia,
Thanks for your support! I'll check out the tool for sure!

The Fatsuit Girl said...

Hi bigfatbride,
I also have hated myself in pictures for a while now...it is very frustrating to not be able to take a picture of more than my face because I always think I look terrible (fat).
I'm also in college, and it was actually one of the reasons I stopped Atkins last year (when I had lost 34 pounds). I had assignments, exams and it becomes very hard to make meals and follow an eating plan.
I really hope Atkins works for you. I guess the main motivation for you would be to look amazing on your wedding, healthy, glowing and feel great! If you ever feel like cheating think about all the effort you've made so far and how you're going to have to start all over again tomorrow....That really keeps me motivated.

Lynn said...

I was heavy (175-195) but very active and relatively healthy throughout my twenties and early thirties. When I hit my forties I was fatter than ever and my feet and knees hurt most of the time. My stamina disappeared and I was becoming unable to function at work.
After a lifetime of dieting, low-carb living has helped me loose weight and keep it off over several years. I still struggle with my relationship with food and most recently have been blogging to help me keep an eye on portion size and snacking.

TESS said...

It was 2002 and I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My oncologist told me at age 50 I was high risk and morbid obesity raised the risk even higher. As I went through chemo and radiation I frequently thought of what she said but was to tired and I guess in shock to do much then. About 2 mon after treatment,June 2003 I started a low carb diet. It took me until Oct 2005 but I lost 140 lbs. I am maintaining but it is harder to keep it off I think than to actually lose it. You are young and if you lose it now your risk of breast cancer will not be as high. Good Luck to you.

katrina said...

Hi!
thanks for linking to me :) I appreciate that you have a sense of humor. I'm the same way. If you take things too seriously, it's easy to get down on yourself, and that is definitely not good for diet morale. hope everything is going well, good job so far!
BFB